Saturday, September 6, 2014

Baby Shower Samples

Little Boy Baby Shower Invitations!


This past couple of weeks I designed and created baby shower invitations with one of my friends for her daughter-in-law's baby shower. Everyone shares their adorable projects, but this time, I'd like to share with you a little bit of my process of developing a card. Despite how easy it looks, there is often quite a bit of playing with products to develop a final pleasing design. I told my friends if its not "OMG that's cute!" then I'm not happy with it.

The thinking...
  • they are expecting a boy, so I was thinking trucks and cars.
  • for 40 cards, having enough paper is important. I had a pack of Outdoor Denim and Pear cardstock, and a lot of the  Later Sk8r B&T paper. I decided that the Later Sk8r design is too old-ish for a newborn, so I combined it with Die Cuts with a View (DCWV) papers in the Baby Boy Stack. 
  • I checked with the mom-to-be and she wanted the colors to be Navy and almost Lime Green and she was thinking cars and trucks. So we started out on the same wavelength. 
  • perusing Pinterest for a couple of designs helped in my design concepts

First Sample


I had such a great time using the Later Sk8r papers and stamps last year that I thought I would start with die-cut gears using the Artiste Cricut cartridge. My first attempt used Outdoor Denim for the card enclosure and Later Sk8r paper as a pullout with a gear on top (Artiste).

I cut the Baby Boy lettering using Plantin Schoolbook, using patterned paper and backed it with White Daisy cardstock. I heat embossed a farm truck from the Fast and Furious stamp set and fussycut it.  And I used a gear cut using the Artiste cartridge.

Because I was just playing with examples, I wasn't putting the elements down especially carefully, but even if they were perfect, turns out that I didn't care for the results at all. The pullout card was not wide enough for the enclosure and if I made it any wider, it would be too tall to fit in a standard envelope. 


For my second attempt, I stamped and heat embossed the farm truck. You can see that I lightly stamped the Fast and Furious tire track under the ribbon. I used a non-CTMH sentiment,  which I am embossed with white embossing powder.  

The gears were cut from Outdoor Denim and Later Sk8r on my Cricut with the Artiste cartridge.

Again, I was not satisfied with the result.

On my third attempt, I tried to isolate another Fast and Furious truck and the tire tread in a frame by stamping on White Daisy, which I layered on Outdoor Denim. 

I cut an arrow from the Artbooking Cricut cartridge and used a steel tread dry-embossing folder on Pear backed on Outdoor Denim.  Even with the cute little gears again, I still did not like this card.  It was a "No go!"

Why was this so difficult? I needed some mojo!

Design #4 - I layered the background with the same DCWV paper. I tried stacking the cars and trucks. 

They looked pretty good with heat-embossing, but the left side of the card didn't work out. I didn't have any stamps that would fit, and the shower invitation wording was on the inside.





Try #5 - I did like the steelplate tread look. So I tried it vertically. 

I made a little tag using the Artiste Cartridge and the gear tag. The sentiment was stamped with Outdoor Denim ink and heat-embossed with detailed Clear embossing powder.

I stamped the truck and then fussy-cut it and laid it on top of large gear in Later Sk8r B&T.

Better, but still not great...maybe too frilly for a boy card.





6th Attempt
Moving along - at last I was starting to get into it. I mixed 2 of the papers from the Baby Boy Stack, and used large white ric-rack where the edges met. A large gear cut from Outdoor Denim using Artiste made a good layer.  The truck was heat-embossed on White Daisy and fussy cut.  I used Versamark ink and a non-CTMH powder.

The 7th attempt was closest....it uses a lot of the same elements, layered on Outdoor Denim, and the Boy stack paper, along with the steeltread. I finally got the tire tread in there. But I didn't like the truck embossed in that color of blue, and it didn't go well with the lime green on the bottom.

Thanks for looking at my "failures".  I hope it helps in understanding that an adorable card doesn't happen the first time.  For me, the development of the design is half the fun.  The non-perfect examples were part of getting to a really cute invitation design, and we made 40+ invitations shortly after.

THE NEXT POST WILL REVEAL THE FINAL DESIGN!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment